The Two Royal Brothers The Two Royal Brothers

I didn't know what song to review from you, especially since most of your recent ones are under a minute, so I went with this one!

I really like the medieval feeling in this song. This would be the kind of song that would play in a castle, so I'd say you succeeded on making it sound royal like your title suggests. The harpsichord really adds in a variety that's needed in this song. The saxophone bit (0:55) is really interesting to listen to, with the bells and all in the background that's with it. It might not make it sound "epic", but at least it adds to the castle-y impression and I like it ^^

Alright, now the flaws. I know it's not everyone that can afford or get good samples, but I would really like to hear a version where the brass-like instrument in the beginning and @ 0:37 sounds a bit more clearer and better. The rest of your samples sound good and they're alright, it's just this one that bugs me. The drums, though a bit repetitive, really sound great in this. I really like how you can easily notice the details in them, the smaller sounds don't get drowned out. So that's a plus.

The part @0:50 hurts my ears because of the sounds being too noisy and crushing each-other. This could be caused either by saturation that happens when your song's volume level goes above 0db, or, it could be caused by pushing way too much noises into a limiter. If you use a limiter, friendly tip, don't. Compressors are way better and they don't cut off louder sounds, they simply just gradually lower the louder noises the way you want them. Unless you do side-chaining, try learning and using compressors, they really help. Also, a trick when doing a song, I find it really easy to mix and master my song in the end if I put everything at half the usual volume in the beginning (Nothing goes above -6db). It makes it easy to add effects, EQs and boost frequencies without going over the dreaded 0db. It gives you some leeway.

Oh gosh this review is getting long what. I've listened to your song through this whole review and now it's basically impregnated in my head >.< So yeah, to recap, I really like the castle-medieval theme in this song, the drums are really great and just a bit repetitive, maybe try and get a better sample for the brass instrument? and the part @0:50 needs a fix. I wish we could edit reviews so that I could change this review if you end up fixing it, but oh well. Sadly, only a 3/5, mostly because the saturation/sound crushing part.

So, yeah I hope this review was helpful! This might be the longest review I've written on a one-minute long song to this date x)

-Tourmi

ClimbLadders responds:

(Sigh) I wrote a really detailed response to you for this. It was possibly even longer than the review! I responded to each paragraph.... To everything that was relevant....

but somehow, I didn't post it...and I don't remember it...plus I don't want to type all that again Everything happens for a reason, so I guess it was for the best. BUT I will say, All in all, thanks for the review!

The Void The Void

Is this inspired by Metroid? The start of the song really feels like it is from Metroid, it almost gave nostalgia chills. And I just noticed that someone also reviewed about that. It really feels inspired from it. Anyway, here's my actual review!

First, I want to say that the whole song really is soothing and someone could fall asleep to it easily. If it is what you were aiming for, good job! I really loved a lot of things in your song like the synth playing in the background for almost the whole song. It really made the song feel calmer and I think the Metroid impression mostly comes from it. I also really liked the melodies of the "violin" (I know it's not a violin, but that's what I'll call it) instrument appearing at 0:45. It made everything everything sound sadder and more beautiful.

Next, I want to talk about the flaws of the song. The flaws I found are mostly my personal opinion, so feel free to disagree with what I'm saying. For an ambient song, I feel like there aren't enough variations. It's obvious that you were aiming for it to be repetitive, but it can be too much sometimes. The "violin" felt repetitive, because of the amount of times you repeated that same melody with it. It would have been fun to hear some other melodies coming from it. There's only one other instrument that I think was repetitive, but I actually don't mind it, and it's the hi-hat. To me, it really feels fine, but someone else might complain about it being always the same thing trough the song. But yeah, the only instrument that I felt was repetitive is the violin's melody. The rest is perfectly fine.

Also, I really felt like the choir was out of place that first time it appeared. It was too sudden. I was legitimately surprised by it. Maybe fading it in would fix it, since I don't think there was anything else with it. It's only a small problem, but I still felt like saying it.

So, yeah. The whole song feels really nice, the stereo you put on the different instruments made everything feel more spacial and great. The title fits perfectly with the song. Really, good job on everything about the song, it would definitely fit a video game with a sad/lonely atmosphere. The only complains I have are about the repetitiveness of the "violin"'s melody and the choir appearing too suddenly.

Keep it up!
4.5/5

Chemiqals responds:

Wow, thanks for this! Not everyday you get such a wordy and helpful review! I actually haven't played Metroid in a loooong time, haha! This was mostly inspired by one of my favorite soundtracks which is for the game FTL: Faster Than Light! Which might actually have a resemblance to the Metroid soundtrack since they are both sci-fi!

Marvels - Rough Draft Marvels - Rough Draft

Holy-... I didn't expect that. I actually favorited you for your art, I didn't know you made music. So, let me jump right in the review!

Just for starters, I wanted to say that this is totally my kind of dubstep. I really love when electronic songs focus more on the melody and the instruments than the drums. It just sounds great and make everything epic. Great choice of genre!

I loved the song entirely and there wasn't any turn off parts that I didn't like, though, I still found some flaws (Nothing major, though). I really loved the piano melodies and the piano itself sounded really great. The bass was just perfect and it fitted perfectly with the song, and it was pure awesomeness in the drops. I loved the melody in the song, and like I said, I really love how you prioritized it over the drum, making everything sound blended in and melodic.

The voices were perfect. I really loved the singing, but I wished I could hear it better :/ I don't know if it was wanted or not, but I actually found the voices quiet and couldn't really hear what your vocalist was singing. Also, it would really be fun to see some lyrics for the song, so that if someone mishears something, he can look it up without pausing the song or if someone wants to sing along. So yeah, I would really enjoy the song even more if I could hear the singer better, but still blending in with the song.

One small glitch/flaw that I found. It's really small, but it surprised me in the song. At 2:11, there is a tiny cut-off for less than half a second where nothing plays. I don't think it's supposed to be there, so I prefer to point it out in case you didn't notice.

Finally, I really enjoyed the song. The piano was awesome, I loved the bass, the electronic leads sounded good and I really liked the arps in the background. The voice sounded great, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. So, if you fix that glitch at 2:11, I can say your song would be pretty much perfect and I would download it right away.

Great song, totally my genre. 4.5/5, 5/5, favorited

Keep it up and brony on!

January3rd responds:

Thank you so much for your in depth response! Your review is extremely appreciated. To address some of your points:

Thanks for liking the musical part of dubstep in general! Melodic, catchy dubstep has always been more pleasant to my ears than that which only relies on the drums or particular sounds without melody.

Don't worry 'bout the singing, totally working on that. For some reason, getting the vocals to sound right has always been the hardest part for me personally.

You are right about that little gap there at 2:11, I think it's a sidechaining error, or rather an error with my emulation of sidechaining, as garageband does not have actual sidechain compression. That will be fixed accordingly.

Isn't piano a beautiful sounding instrument? It's also my native instrument, as far as playing the thing goes. It was pretty fun to compose that part of the draft. Also, we'll definitely have the lyrics up in the final one.

Thanks for liking the drawings too! It's fun having multiple interests/obsessions to occupy time with.

All together, I really appreciate you taking the time to evaluate, and the problems are gonna get fixed. Thanks again!

Octavia vs Fiddlesticks Octavia vs Fiddlesticks

Yes! A new song from you! Your songs are awesome and then you come out with this even better song.

To me, almost everything was perfect. The choir was perfectly fitting and really put a great "epic" ambiance to the whole song. The percussions felt really heavy in the start and they were really building up to a more light part of the song. I can't say anything more about the instruments, they were perfectly mixed and everything, I would just repeat myself.

I noticed something, too. At 2:47, I had a great deja-vu impression. Then it hit me, this part was just like Octavia's Secret. Really, it was a great bonus to the song, and, just for information, your song Octavia's Secret is really a great song and I actually listen to it often. But yeah, let me go back on the review, now.

The song was really awesome the whole way through, but there's a single part that I didn't really like :s. It was the transfer at 4:03 to the Fiddlesticks song. I didn't like it because of how abrupt it starts and because I thought it didn't sound as good as the rest :/, but really, when the fiddlesticks song starts at 4:30, everything goes back to normal to me. That was really the only part that I didn't like, and it was short, so it's really not that bad.

Like I already said, your song is epic and there's only one spot that I didn't like. Everything else was perfect. and I also liked the reference to your own song in the middle of it. Also, I've listened to a lot of your songs and I've always been wondering, what VSTs/Samples do you use for your violin sounds? They always sound so realistic/awesome, I would really like to know ^^

So yeah, keep up the great work and I hope you'll do more music this year!

TheBellmaker responds:

Thanks for listening!

I want to comment on that part at 4:03 you brought up. I actually struggle a lot with what was supposed to come next, because I had already written all of the buildup, but I didn't know what I was building up toward. I was debating doing a "typical" finale to transition to Fiddlesticks, but I instead thought what if I did something completely unexpected, yet still Octavia like?

To me, stringed instruments give the feeling of darkness. And so I played on that, writing a section of dissonance, fear, and chaos that often accompanies darkness. In hindsight, It may or may not have been fitting, but I always like to try new things.

Technoplasmatic - Technobitch Technoplasmatic - Technobitch

Nah, it doesn't sound good... It sounds great! It has been a while since I last reviewed something, so I'll do a big one right now!

The song's really catchy when the melody comes in and the ending was REALLY well made. The bass, like in every other songs you made, is perfect. I really love how it changes in the song, and is not always the same thing. It's not repetitive. The drums are great too, not too powerful but loud enough. I really liked it. Really, I loved the song and it would be something I would listen to multiple times.

Though, every song has its flaws. (Note that these "flaws" are mostly my personal opinion.) The melody was great and really catchy, I also liked the slight differences and effects you made with it, but, the thing that I didn't like about it was the fact that it is the only melody in the whole song. I found it really repetitive and really, the song could have used another melody at some point. It's only a personal opinion, though. If you wanted it to be like that, just disregard what I just said.

Also, the intro was too long for me :S Usually, I would expect the main melody of a song to come sooner in the song, not after the two minutes mark. I felt like after the two minute part, I was actually listening to a different song (But still good, though!). I don't know if that was what you were aiming for, but I actually think that the first two minutes weren't really fitting because of that delay on the main melody. It could have been a four or even three minute-long song, but yeah. Again, don't mind it if you don't think that's true or if you wanted it like that.

But yeah, like I said, the song is really awesome and catchy. The bass is really present and I love it. I only could find two "big" things that I didn't like, but the rest was great. All of the cut-off effects, ambient instruments and drums were awesome and brought something unique to the song. I really love the direction you're going with your music and I hope you keep making more! ^^

Keep it up! You're a great artist!

TastyTeo responds:

I know what you mean, my aim was to make it kind of loopy from the start so it could be used in cars with boom boom boom volume maximum bass if you understand me haha because we do wierd stuff like that in Greece, your opinion about another melody was wicked i think im gonna use it the next time and thanks for that. as for the very long intro and after that it seems like another song, well you're kind of right but that was the feel i wanted to give, the unexpected feeling. you got the points so i guess you're right after all, thanks for your suggestions, i am glad you liked it ^_^ don't forget i still have time to improve

Zeppelin Raid Zeppelin Raid

I didn't expect a song like that. It is really low x)

This isn't really the kind of song that you can listen to in your free-time, sadly. It is way more fit for some kind of dark, scary and mysterious fight. I really liked the ambiance instruments. The piano is actually strange sounding compared to everything, but it's okay. It adds a eerie and scary ambiance to everything. The stereo effects were good too and, the drums are epic.

Really, the only complain I have is how low the song is. There is a LOT of bass in it. I feel like it's really too much bass and it actually tires my ears. I don't know what to say else about it.

So, good song for a flash game, but it could actually be better. Maybe if you find a way to keep the scary and dark ambiance while removing the bass, it could sound even greater. And, congratz on being able to make it using the mobile version of FL! I wouldn't have the patience to do a song without my computer >.<

ClimbLadders responds:

Yeah its low. I wanted it to be low, but not that low. FL moble only have 3 bands for the eq, and it effects all tracks marked with a FX at the same time instead of separately like you can in FL. It's mixed badly. I could have just exported this into FL and finished it from there....but this was a challenge to see if I could go all the way =). Sadly, I still had to cheat a little. =(

Sadly, all of my music isn't just good to sit and listen to. That's why I never will be able to release a successful album. They are too vgish and odd for most people to want to sit and listen to them.

Thanks to ur review, I realised that the bass was too low, and then I tried to EQ it again, and I got it to the best I could without doing too much in FL. It was annyoing lol. FL moble was pushed to the limit for this. It got so bad that the song skips and lags. I'm just gonna use FL Moble when I get an idea and i need to put it into FL.

Thanks for the review!

The Ageless The Ageless

So, I've heard that you will be making music again? I will be able to review your newer songs! I should have reviewed it earlier, but for some reason, it didn't show up in my Newgrounds feed...

Anyway, as for the song, I really liked it! I really enjoyed the percussion and the handbell in the song. The bass was also just at the right level, not too strong nor quiet. The strings were perfect and the choir fitted the whole song.

I also feel like a better ending couldn't have been made for this song. The fact that the whole song feels calm and slow prevents it from ending with a grand finale without it sounding too different from the rest. The song ending like that makes me feel like pressing the replay button again and again.

The only thing that kinda deceived me was the lack of a more intense part, a part with more emotion than the rest of the song. In cinematic/orchestral songs, it's usually the best part of a song for me. But, I still really liked the chorus ending (The part that repeats itself at the end), and I really could feel the energy from it. The song was just missing an intense moment, maybe right before the last part.

Good job! And great song, it is really fit for a medieval game, or maybe a calm forest. Keep it up! I'm eager to hear more new songs from you! (And yeah, sorry if some things don't make sense, my english isn't that good)

ClimbLadders responds:

Thanks for the detailed review.

I'm afraid I won't be focusing on music as much because now I'm working on 2 animations atm. I might skip a couple of month to move along with the animation, but I'm not sure. One is a big project and the other is something I"m using a "new" program.

I'm glad you enjoyed the song =) I wish I could have thought of a bridge (a way to connect the final chorus) to the ending, but I ran out of ideas. But it is what it is =). Next time, I'll keep a climax in mind (though the final chorus is one, but one with a different rhythm=p)

your English is fine =) don't worry about it.

Zippe - Eat My Four Notes Zippe - Eat My Four Notes

I really liked the song and I think it is really original, however, I don't think it is perfect. The song would be perfect for some calm and relaxing video game, but it doesn't feel like it could be listened to outside of a game, during someone's spare time. There is only two things that I didn't like in the song, the rest being really good.

I'll start with the 1:29 part. It really feels like the violin part is unrelated to the rest of the song (Well, until the 2:00 part). The rest of the song being totally made out of electronic synths and percussions, the violin stands out way too much compared to the rest of the song, where the melody feels integrated to the background instruments. I personally think that a synthetic violin of any other synth instrument would fit better here.

Next, but it's only a personal point of view, I didn't like the ending. I liked the build towards the last part and the rest of the song, but I didn't like how it ended. It just finished like that, without any real finale, just the instruments stopping all at once a few bars after the song's final build. I didn't like it, but if you enjoy it or if it was intentional, then, please, do not mind this.

In all, really great song, but could be improved. Keep it up! ^^
(BTW, author favorited. I might listen to your other songs and give some reviews)

zippe6 responds:

Thanks mate Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. and i appreciate yours. i do agree an actual ending seems appropriate.

Waves (8-bit) Waves (8-bit)

Really great and catchy. I listened to your song this morning, before going to school, and found myself having the quick background melody of your song stuck in my head for a while. Your song really is catchy, but at the same time, it's really calm and soothing. It really could fit a video game, or even one of those pixelated flash games.

The only complain that I have is, even though I really like it, the background melody being a lot repetitive. Even with the small variations we can hear through the song of that melody, it still feels repetitive. I know it's a big part of the song, and I don't know how you could remove that repetitive feeling without ruining the song's ambiance.

So, 4.5/5 and 5/5. That song really is awesome and it's going directly on my MP3 player. Keep it up! ^^

Headhunterz RmX WIP Headhunterz RmX WIP

Why is it so short? Why is it cut off? :(

I think that this song is awesome, even if I usually don't really like hardstyle. I think it's because of your style of music. I really feel like a proper ending, or some good transitions between the different melodies would make that song even better. The main thing that I didn't like was that cut-off at the 0:57 mark and then the song continues without minding the cut-off. I would really love a build up to that part, that would make it sound even better.

I don't know much about the hardstyle genre, but if that cut-off and the song continuing without any build at 0:57 is actually something that happens often in the hardstyle genre, please, don't mind my comment.

But really, a proper ending would make that song even more awesome. Maybe make it longer? I would really love to listen to more of your song. ^^

Keep it up!

TastyTeo responds:

this is a work in progress, thanks for your review and suggestions :D